The Basic Fluency System provides two or three types of altered auditory feedback (AAF).
Delayed auditory feedback (DAF) immediately reduces stuttering about 70% at normal speaking rates without training mental effort or abnormal-sounding or abnormally slow speech. 55% carryover fluency after removing the device without speech therapy. With speech therapy DAF can induce a slower speaking rate with stretched vowels to make even severe stutterers nearly 100% fluent.
Pitch-shifting frequency-shifted auditory feedback (FAF) immediately reduces stuttering about 70% at normal speaking rates and induces speech motor changes in stutterers. Only Casa Futura Technologies stuttering treatment devices have octave-scale FAF downshifting (pitch shifting). Combining DAF and FAF increases effectiveness.
Headsets and Earsets
The Basic Fluency System works with all standard headphones and microphones. Two headsets and earsets are provided:
The Sennheiser PC131 full-size headset gives you the best sound quality and maximizes the SmallTalk’s effectiveness. By using the full-size headset on telephone calls in speech therapy and in stressful conversations such as public speaking you’ll maximize carryover fluency and not need to use the device for lower-stress conversations.
A Plantronics MX100S binaural (two ear) wired iPod-style earset is included. These sound good, are comfortable, and are simple and easy to use. Any other standard wired earset can be used.
Background Noise Rejection
The Sennheiser PC131 headset has a noise-canceling microphone to eliminate noise at the source. Electronic circuits filter high-frequency noise above your vocal range. Moderate (-0.4 octave) FAF effectively reduces stuttering yet is acoustically transparent if the device picks up background noise. An optional throat microphone eliminates background noise even in extreme conditions.
The Basic Fluency System plugs into telephones. You hear your voice and the caller’s voice in both ears; the caller hears your normal voice. Leave your Basic Fluency System plugged into your telephone and practice speech therapy on every call. The Basic Fluency System can be used with cellphones. Older cellphones with a standard 2.5mm three-conductor earset jack plug directly into the Basic Fluency System. Newer cellphones with other earset jacks such as the 3.5mm four-conductor jack on iPhones and other smartphones require an adapter. Adapters are easily available for all types of cellphones.
- DAF range 30 milliseconds to 200 milliseconds. User-adjustable.
- FAF range: 0 -0.4 -0.8 octaves (three settings). User-adjustable.
- Binaural (two ear) or monaural (one ear) sound. Binaural sound is 25% more effective than monaural sound and is recommended for severe stutterers; mild stutterers may be able to use monaural sound.
- 35-7500 Hz frequency range clearly reproduces all vocal frequencies of adults and children.
- 9-volt battery last about 15 hours. AC adapter (included) doesn’t charge the battery.
- Black case with belt clip.
- Two 3.5mm jacks for any standard microphone and headphones. One 2.5mm jack for any standard cellphone earset.
- 4.5″ x 2.7″ x 0.9″ (11.5 cm x 7 cm x 2 cm); about the size of an iPod.
- 4.6 ounces (130 grams).
- Basic Fluency System
- Sennheiser PC131 binaural (two ears) lightweight headset
- Plantronics MX100S binaural (two ears) earset
- Telephone cable
- AC adapter (doesn’t charge battery)
- No Miracle Cures: A Multifactoral Guide to Stuttering Therapy book